As it was nearing 6:00, and the kids and I were starting to get quite hungry I had to ask myself if it was really worth it to send Jeff to two different stores after work to get the ingredients I needed for tonight’s recipe. The answer….. YES!
I have always been intrigued by the idea of using peanuts/peanut butter alongside meat in a dish. I have never particularly liked peanuts, but on occasion do enjoy peanut butter. With that in mind I was fairly certain I wouldn’t enjoy the classic peanut chicken dishes you can get at most Chinese restaurants, but while browsing recipes I’d always come across these interesting recipes that I vowed one day to try. Again today, I was browsing recipes and saw a great picture of this pizza and almost clicked away after reading the ingredients list, but then I decided…. why not?! I cannot believe I have been missing out all this time! This pizza is probably now my favorite gourmet pizza, and I have tried my share of “different” pizzas.
The flavor is just so complex and is literally a smorgasbord for your palate. It truly is a gourmet pizza, but at the same time I think even the pickiest eater would enjoy this one. I felt it was deceptively light and fresh in flavor considering most peanut butter dishes I am used to are quite creamy and heavy in flavor. At the same time I felt it almost had a sort of dessert quality to it. If you are wanting to try something a little out of your comfort zone I highly recommend this one!
Thai Chicken Pizza
Serves : 4 Time to make : 25 minutes
- Boboli original pizza crust (large)
- 8 oz chicken, diced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 C. creamy peanut butter
- 3 T. water
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2-1 T. fresh basil (thai basil if you can find it), sliced thin
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, diced
- 4 whole scallions, thinly sliced
- 2/3-1 C. mozzarella, shredded
- Warm olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and cook chicken until done. Set aside in a bowl with the red peppers, and scallions.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a small bowl whisk together peanut butter, water, soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, and garlic.
- Mix 1 T. of the peanut sauce into the chicken, peppers, and onions, then spread the rest evenly onto your crust.
- Next spread the chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle the basil evenly over the pizza, then top with the cheese.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.