It was grocery day and I was searching for a new dish to make that featured some sort of seafood. Came across this and was immediately interested not only because of the lovely photos, but also because three of the four words in the name of this dish are some of the best foods in my opinion. I figured three out of four wasn’t bad, and I would try to get past my distaste for soup and give it a shot. I am glad I did. This soup definitely has a LOT of flavor between the fresh ginger, green curry, coconut, lime, shrimp, serrano, garlic, and cilantro. It also packs a LOT of heat! I think next time I will wimp out and dispose of the seeds from the pepper.
One of the reasons I don’t particularly like soup is because of the broth… it just seems like too much to me I guess. Figuring I had probably already done a number on my stomach from the heat in this dish I didn’t finish my broth, but did find that dipping some bread in it was a nice way to mellow out some of the heat and make me not feel like I was drinking my meal. Both my husband and I though agreed this soup would be better with a little less broth, and more stuff in it. So I would suggest increasing the ingredients in the soup to about 1.5x or maybe even 2x the amount listed, and sticking with the listed amount of broth ingredients. I had doubled the recipe and we ended up tossing a lot of the left over broth after filled our bowls with the extra shrimp, mushrooms and onions. Or you could throw a bit of rice in it to make it a little heartier and get rid of that excess broth issue if you are like me.
Anyway, this was still a winner in my book, and smelled amazing. I loved the blend of flavors, and I just love trying new things. In particular I don’t think I had ever had green curry paste before this dish.
Thai Coconut Lime Soup
Serves : 2
- 1/2 lb raw shrimp
- 2 T. vegetable oil
- 2 T. fresh ginger, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 serrano, thinly sliced, seeds and all
- 1/2 onion, sliced into thin wedges
- 3 T. Thai green curry paste
- 1 T. brown sugar
- 4 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- zest of 1 lime
- Heat the oil in a pot and saute the shrimp just until pink on both sides. Set aside.
- In the same pan saute the ginger, garlic, hot pepper and onion for a few minutes on low to medium heat, until the onion starts to soften.
- Add in the curry paste, brown sugar, and mushrooms. Saute for a few more minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, lime juice, and water to the pan. Bring up to a simmer and cook gently for a couple of minutes.
- Add the cooked shrimp and cilantro to the pot. Heat through. Taste for seasoning adjustments.
- Serve hot with cilantro and lime zest as garnish.
Recipe from The View From The Great Island