I have tried many chocolate chip recipes, some good, and some not so good. These are definitely among the good ones! I love that they have that slightly crisp exterior while remaining soft in the center. The pudding is the trick.
I’ve made these before and used half chocolate chips, half peanut butter chocolate chips, and added walnuts and that was great. Today I wanted to keep them simpler because I have a kid allergic to peanuts, and I didn’t want to take a chance on the walnuts since I was letting my youngest enjoy them as well. I went with half bittersweet chips, and half mini milk chocolate chips. You can use whatever you like and the next time I am thinking of adding toffee bits even.
I find the 12 minute mark to be just about right in my oven. You want to pull them out before they get too brown. They should be just turning brown around the edges and on the underside. I have a small ice cream scoop type thing that works perfectly for dropping cookies and I get almost 4 dozen out of this recipe that way. I prefer to do one sheet in the oven at a time so they cook evenly, so it takes a little longer but you can certainly do two sheets at a time and that is what I will list in the recipe as far as time to make.
Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies
Serves : 43-46 cookies Time to make : 35 minutes
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 (small) pkg instant vanilla pudding
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. almond extract
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Combine flour and baking soda and set aside.
- In a large bowl beat together brown sugar, sugar, pudding mix, shortening, butter, vanilla and almond extracts.
- Mix well.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Beat in flour mixture.
- Stir in chocolate chips
- Drop by rounded teaspoonful and bake 10-12 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven.
- Let cool for a couple minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool the rest of the way.
someone liked them very much!