Let’s say it’s the middle of the week, and you have a craving for meatloaf. Let’s also assume you don’t have the time or patience it takes to cook a traditional meatloaf…… which in my experience is forever and even then I often get it wrong. If this sounds like you, this is probably the perfect recipe for you! It may not satisfy the pickiest of meatloaf fanatics, but my husband and I definitely felt it had a meatloaf taste without all the hassle. In fact, I don’t even like meatloaf all that much…shhh…. but even I liked it in this burger form with the BBQ sauce slathered all over it. Heck, this even saves all those people that end up eating their meatloaf as a sandwich a little extra time!
These definitely comes together quickly and simply. I used my double burner cast iron grill indoors tonight because it’s Fall and not worth trekking out in the chilly, often wet, weather to uncover the grill and clean it just for a couple burgers. I couldn’t live without my stove top grill! Anyway, for some reason I tend to make my burgers rather thick, and occasionally have issues getting them to then cook all the way through, but these turned out well. I did about 5-6 minutes a side, and then used a roasting pan lid to cover all of them at once with the cheese on at the end to get it nice and melted. This also probably helped ensure I got them cooked through…. I do NOT like pink in my burger!
I have to admit I was kind of skeptic that these would resemble meatloaf all that much with so few ingredients added and so little of them, but somehow it worked. The sauce is very sweet, so if you prefer your BBQ sauce a little less so, just adjust the sugar or even leave it out if you want. I used some potato buns for ours and topped it only with the sauce. IMO it didn’t need anything more, but I am sure you could add whatever floats your boat. All in all these were very good and the perfect compromise between my meatloaf loving husband and I.
Not much to the picture… I got a little cheese happy and the burger was almost entirely encased it it lol. But here is a little peek if you look closely….
- 1 lb ground beef (I used grass fed 85/15)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 8 saltines, crushed
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp. garlic sauce
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
Sauce Ingredients :
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, unpacked
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup bbq sauce
- 1 tsp. dry mustard powder
- Mix burger ingredients, minus the cheese, together by hand and form into one big ball. Score the meat with the side of your hand to make 4 even sections and form those sections into patties.
- Grill on medium heat until cooked through, about 4-6 minutes a side. Once done, top each burger with a slice of cheddar and either close the grill lid or form a tent with a lid or foil if using a stove top grill to allow cheese to melt.
- To make sauce combine ingredients in a microwave safe dish and heat for about 45 seconds to 1 minute in the microwave until sugar is melted, Whisk to remove any lumps.
- Top each burger with sauce and enjoy!
Recipe from Noshing with the Nolands